Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Fitness Over 40Something - Time

Okay so it is a new day and happens to be the day I planned on going back to the gym. What had become an overwhelming thought seemed a bit better now since I had a new idea. Instead of the forty-five minute body building split routine, why not make it more simple. How about one exercise for one body part all at one time? And then, instead thirty minutes of cardio, how about a nice slow walk on the treadmill, I mean, after all, the biggest challenge I had now was going back at all. This sounded right, it sounded good and it sounded, more than anything, doable. I messaged my buddy of over twenty years about which exercise would be best for legs. As I waited for his response I drove to the gym. I sat in the car and thought numerous things. Am I going to look like one of those people with a New Year's resolution? Should I wait? I have other things I have to do so this is going to take too much time. For a few minutes I thought of excuses until I made my mind sick and then robotically got out of the car and walked to the door, slid my gym key, and walked in. I had missed this place was my very first thought. I planed ahead not to look at the time. That was very hard to do. I walked over to the Smith machine and did my first squat. Funny thing happened, I liked it. After I finished three sets I thought what about just legs today but only three exercises? I did dead lifts and dumbbell sit-and-stands. It felt good, fun. I paid no real attention to the weight, only how it felt. After that my old mindset kicked in and of course, I started to feel like I did not do that much, that it as not good enough. So what did I do? Walked over to the treadmill and got on just like I had planned. I started waking and noticed I automatically started looking at calories, distance and since I was  equipped with my pedometer app, its default goal of 10,000 steps. More pressure, no fun. I did not get off though. I walked. At my own slow pace and worked on my mindset. I purposely stopped at 2miles. I had to try to teach myself it was okay. I left he gym and got in the car. Once I got home I realized how amazing I felt. I took a shower and felt that soreness that meant I did good. You mean I did not have to be there for over an hour? I did not have to complete a pedometer' default goal? I did not have to lift extreme to feel I did something?  I learned something today. Time can't matter, length can't matter, and excuses can't stop me. I also learned that once I get in that door the hardest part is over. Let's see how far this new mindset takes me. Maybe you can teach and old dog new tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment