Thursday, January 15, 2015

Fitness Over 40Something - Listen to the Body

Learned something new again today! Listen to my body. It scares me when I think about it. My body is completely seperate from my mind. The organs, the cells, they all do their own thing. I can't point my finger and and say " stop that, behave" or " I don't like that, so don't do it". They do their own thing. But instead of scaring me why don't I just listen to them? They know what to do. They know how to fix themselves and what to do with the nutrients I give them and the workouts I do. So today at the gym I did just that. I felt body tired. Not mind tired. My mind wanted to lift more, walk more, run more but my body said please no. I tried to ignore it's pleads and let my mind say things like it's not enough, keep going. Stupid old mindset comes out like extra bread at a diner. Constant and nagging. So, I thought that since I am trying new things why not try listening to my body? Ignore all of the articles that say push it, take it to the limit, come on just do it! I promised my body we would do just what we can today. I was working on back and stayed at the weight I did last week. No more, no,less. I almost got caught up in 5 more minutes on the treadmill but I asked my body and it's response? "You promised!" I got off the treadmill. Funny thing happened. I did not feel bad, I felt good. I actually felt great. Before I would have pushed and pushed and you know where that got me? Quitting. You see it was not my mind telling me to stop it was my body. And for thousands of years this human makeup learned what is good and bad, not someone's article that sounds like pummeling myself to near death. I am working with myself and not against myself. Best part is, I am looking forward to going back tomorrow.
P.S. Thank you to those who are reading my blog. You inspire me!

No comments:

Post a Comment